Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Playground Bullies

Last night was Roman's first day of soccer. The normal meet 'n greet. James is coaching again and we currently have 10 players on our team with a possible 2 more by next week's first practice. After the teams were formed and the parents were talking and getting the low down on what to expect, the older kids grabbed a few balls and hit the soccer fields while the younger ones ran for the playground. We began wrapping things up, so I went off to fetch the kids. Dragged Hope off the playground, then began walking to the far end of the field in search of Roman. What I found instead was a 4 year old pinned to the ground by 4 of the older 5 year old boys. Much to my dismay, my son was one of them!

I quickly broke it up, the boy went running off to his mother, but no tears or crying, and the other 3 dispersed while I summoned Roman over for questioning. I did note at this time that the other 3 boys were Roman's friend Sam and two of their new teammates. I marched Roman over to his father for interogation. This is what I heard:

James: "Were you fighting out there?"

Roman: "Yes"

James: "How many?"

Roman: "Just one"

James: "Was he bigger than you?"

Roman: "No, he's only four and this tall (motioning a shorter than him height with his hand)"

James: "Why were you fighting with him?"

Roman: "Because he pushed me down, twice"

James: "Then what happened?"

Roman: "My boys came to my rescue and we got him back"

James: began with the lecture on why that was wrong.... the continued with the follow up. "What do you do next time a bully pushes you?"

Roman: "I push him back"

James: "NO you ask him to stop. What do you do if he does it again?"

Roman: "I hit him"

James: "NO you find an adult and tell him, and you never summon your posse to back you up, unless you're outnumbered. Four on one is not even a fair fight."

We then made Roman apologize to the boy, even though he promised the other kid started it, and when he did, I thought the kid's mother was going to jump me. Let's just say the apple apparently didn't fall far from that tree!

No comments: