Saturday, September 12, 2009

Scouting Providence

Scouting is known throughout football and we learned quickly Roman's first year of flags that scouting is known throughout ALL football! I remember sitting at a Powhatan game watching my tiny little boy playing flags and a group of guys sitting 2 rows behind me catching my attention. They were from Gordon scouting our FLAGS. Roman's number came up many times throughout the night and somewhere I know his name is forever tagged as a potential threat to Gordon football. We went on to beat them the following week.... a MAJOR upset in CQL football!

To my knowledge Reams has never been big on scouting other teams. However they were all pumped after a 3 for 3 victory and decided to head over in the evening to watch the Providence game. Providence beat Reams flags 2 years ago in a very poorly ref'ed game and the only game that Reams flags have lost in 4 years! So for Roman and his buddies they are, without a doubt, the enemy. There was some added tension regarding a coach moving over there for a "better" team for his son to play on. And some talk of merging the 2 organizations that just completely fell through this year. So basically, Providence is probably the biggest rival we're scheduled to play this season and everyone is getting pumped over it (I'll be out of town that weekend, but know I'll hear all about it when I get back!) .

Typically I've noticed that scouts come dressed incognito and do not flaunt the fact that they are from another team. You don't exactly want the team being scouted knowing that you are watching their ever play, learning their weaknesses and working on counter strategies to play them. So we explained this to Roman and he dressed accordingly understanding what was going on.... or so we thought.

As they arrived, parked and began walking to the field. James noticed Roman carrying a marble notebook and a pen. In big letters across the front it said, "REAMS RAMS MINORERS SCOUTING BOOK!" Yup, he's a genius!!!! LOL He later came back and wrote down the numbers of the 4 top players he intends to pound. He's extremely animated with the fact that Reams WILL win against Providence.

As it turned out some of the other coaches were not at all interested in going incognito. From Rams shirts to hats 6 very large Reams coaches lined up against the fence next to where the Providence Juniors huddled and glared down the former coach who abandoned them for greener pastures. We're talking 6 line man sized men here. Talk about sheer intimidation! I almost feel sorry for Providence!

No comments: