Bethany has headed off to school. She's officially a Kindergartner and James is going into depression. We missed the bus this morning at their normal stop and rushed them to the other end of the street to catch it there. As the bus stopped Ms. Lynn opened the doors and was talking to James about how that wasn't a stop anymore - it had moved one street over this year - and he was standing in the way while talking. Instead of a tearful hug and wave goodbye and a few pics to boot he instead was literally pushed out of the way with a loud "MOVE I have to get on that bus!" Stunned he just stood there as his baby girl flew on to the bus without a look back. This one is hitting him the hardest. For me it was Roman who also ran full speed to the bus without looking back on his first day. We should be proud of the confidence we've instilled in them to take such a giant leap without hesitation, but it's just bitter sweet!
Tracie is going to be battling major empty nest syndrome this year, so when she called to ask if I wanted to go have lunch with the kids I went for it. Katy was sleeping so her and James stayed home. I think Ms. Neal was happy to see us and she quickly put us to work getting her kids to the proper tables. Once all the kids were seated Tracie got Graeme and went back to the parents table. I asked Bethany to join us, she said "NO"! Yup, I was snubbed twice in one day!
Hope's class came through soon after and she did sit to have lunch with me. They quickly realized there was a major screw up though. 1st and 2nd graders were scheduled for the same lunch times and there was no room. So 2nd grade headed back to their classrooms to eat. I spoke with Mrs. Ziegler who assured me Hope was fine to eat there and asked that I just escort her back to the classroom when done..... last year her teacher didn't want anyone near her classroom, so I was thrilled! I really think I'm gonna like this one!
Since it was getting late I decided to wait and see Roman too. He had forgotten his lunch and i had dropped it off in the office. Last time that happened he never got his lunch, so I wanted to make sure he did. He came in last a few minutes after his class without his lunchbox. He came over to ask what I was doing here. I asked him about his lunch, apparently he had to go to the bathroom and gave it to Truman to bring in. And that's where I instinctively knew I was again gonna be ditched! Sure enough he wanted nothing to do with me, he just wanted to go have lunch with his friends. Again, it's just bitter sweet seeing them so independent and confident but not fully ready to let them go!
Bethany came home with a frog note and was beyond pleased with herself. Roman is griping about already having homework and Hope wishes she did too. Ah, it's good to be back to school!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment