It's no big secret that James and I, and especially Roman, adore his teacher, Ms. Neal. Throughout this year he has learned a tremendous amount from her. He is reading and his handwriting gets more clearer with each passing week. He's spelling everything and absorbs everything she teaches. Perhaps the most lasting concept he's brought home with him (aside from the Owls.... which, on a side note, he was quick to point out to everyone at the National Aquarium that a picture they have up on the wall is actually a barn owl, but in the wrong habitat, because barn owls mostly live in barns or rafters, not trees, hence their name. LOL) Anyway, the most lasting concept so far this year has been that of Past versus Present, Old versus New. Of course to a child of only 6, this is often a tough concept to fully understand. In his attempt to understand what truly is old and in the past versus new and in the present he asks many questions.
On Sunday Barbara, Roman, Bethany, and I - Hope was home with Daddy with a stomach bug - headed to Front Royal to visit Great-Grandma. On the way up we saw many old houses and made a game out of distinguishing the old ones from the new ones. Of course this leads to other questions...
"Grandma, I know the dinosaurs are extinct, but really did exist and lived a long time ago. Do you remember them? Were they around when you were my age?"
"Grandma, did they have paved roads when you learned to drive?"
The best of course was after we got to Great-Grandma's house. Bethany and Roman were crawling around the floor and got a little too close to comfort to a 3-legged table with an antique lamp on it. So Great-Grandma told them to be careful and began to tell them about the lamp. She told them it was very old, older than she was. Her daddy had bought it before she was born. Now Great-Grandma is in her 80's and like a lot of people her age, she doesn't hear real well and you have to speak up. Roman must have picked up on this immediately, because he dropped his voice to a low level, but not a whisper like he was trying to obviously be secretive and says, "Mommy, I don't think she's telling the truth. They couldn't possibly have had electricity back then!" LOL I'm not real sure how I didn't fall over in a fit of laughter, but I kept my composure and shh'ed him. To his defense, it was originally an oil lamp that was later converted to electric!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment