Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Katy's 2 Month Update

Yesterday we had Kathryn in to see Dr. Grossberg for her 2 month well baby checkup and weight check. She only weighed in at 7 lbs even, up a mere 4 oz in 3 weeks and just 1 lb above her birth weight 9 weeks ago. Doc wasn't pleased and I'll admit I was a bit surprised, but more just disappointed. She did grow 2 inches in the last month and 2cm in head circumferance too. She is meeting all her milestones and doing fantastic except in the weight department. Still, she was officially marked "Failure to Thrive". That isn't a title any mom wants to hear! Dr. Grossberg still believes it's a supply issue on my part and inefficient nursing on hers. I asked if she felt we should give up nursing and switch her to formula and she said NO. She's not ready to give up on us just yet, especially with her progressing wonderfully in other areas.

Katy is very alert and active. She sleeps through the night already. She can hold her head up well, and nearly rolled over at the doc office for one of the nurses who was quite surprised to see this tiny creature twisting and turning all over of the table. Her head circumferance is only at 5% and her height at a small 11%, so overall Katy is just SMALL. In otherwords, although she's been labeled "failure to thrive" she is still thriving overall, we just need her to start gaining weight.

This week's plan of action.... lots and lots of pumping (Ick! Mooooooooooo!). She'll be getting almost all expressed breast milk (EBM) that we are fortifying to increase her caloric intake. Breast milk on average is 20 calories per oz. We are fortifying it just enough to bring that up to 24 calories per oz. This will help to get weight on faster. We are logging her eating habits, and although the doc says it's not necessary, I have started logging mine. I'm finding that when I'm at work especially that I get busy and often forget to eat or drink throughout the day. When I'm at home I tend to snack a lot all day and drink water constantly. So, if nothing else, this is keeping me accountable for proper nutrition and hydration on my part.

So far today I have managed to pump 2 oz over what she has actually eaten, which is great cause I've been pumping less than she requires and we've depleted my freezer stash already. Maybe all that Fenugreek is finally kicking in??

Although we are obviously concerned that Katy is not gaining, we are thankful that she is otherwise very healthy and happy. Just the sweetest little baby girl ever!

Next checkup is in 1 week for another weight check: Monday, March 2nd at 10:15. Let's pray our plan of action for the week puts some meat on her bone!


..... James just called, Katy is on poop #2 for the day! (she's only been pooping once every 3-8 days since birth!)

No comments: