Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Of course, with St. Patrick's Day being on a Monday I completely forgot about it this year! If I hadn't have been too lazy to take out my green earrings still on from Saturday I would have been the target of a lot of pinching. As I walked into work I was greeted by the guard with a cheerful "Top of the Mornin' to ya!" That's when it hit me! Yikes, it's St. Patrick's Day!!! Being of scot-irish heritage myself, this is normally a big deal holiday in our house. I take my green very seriously. As I reached my desk I realized it was too late to call and make sure the kids had on green as they would have been getting on the bus roughly at that moment.

Jump ahead to this evening. I get home from work and am welcomed by the girl, dressed in jeans and a pink and brown shirt while the boy, who's wardrobe is almost half green to begin with, is wearing jeans with a yellow and blue striped shirt. He has a look of exasperation as I ask how their day went.

HOPE - "You didn't tell us it was St. Patrick's Day. Hello! I walked into school without green on and everyone started trying to pinch me. Miss Neal gave me this pin (a green four leaf clover pin) to wear to save me."

That was very nice of her.... so Roman, how was your day?

ROMAN - "I got pinched.... a lot! EVERYONE in my class and nearly everyone in 2nd grade pinched me. I even got pinched by older kids AND younger ones!" as he gave his 'what's up with that' look enhanced by the dramatic extended arms, palms up, shrug of his.

Smiling I asked why Mrs. Gregory didn't give him a pin to wear or something green like Hope's teacher had. To which he replied, "Give me green?? Heck, she was first in line to pinch me!"

No comments: