Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Do You Understand Me?

There comes a time in every girls life when they stop and say, "Wow, I sound just like my mother!" For Bethany Nicole this revelation has already hit. Yes at just 2 1/2 years old, my beloved baby girl has already begun sounding just like her mother.

As we were settling in for storytime before bed the other night all the kids crowded around me on the couch. Hope sat just to my right and Roman on the left with Bethany butted up against him trying to see the book. Roman started pushing her away and telling her to move, she was squishing him and he didn't like it. So Bethany says, "Mommy said I could sit here, do you understand me?" Roman just huffed and Bethany says, "Oh no, you look at me when I'm talking to you, do you understand me! Roman? I said, do you understand me! I am not moving!"

Yes I about fell off the couch laughing. I have been using the "do you understand me" and "look at me when I'm talking to you" cards with Bethany frequently these days as she is getting old enough to know better with some of her behaviors, and you have to fully gain her attention to make sure your point is getting across. It was about as revelationational to the "children are like sponges absorbing everything around them" theory as the time Roman, at roughly her age, decided he wanted a drink of my coke and upon telling him no, he defiantly says, "And you said we're a sharing family!" LOL Hope had been just a baby and so the concepts of what it means to be a big brother and sharing were being instilled in him at the time. All three like to play that card even still today, and the ironic part is, the first time I told that to Roman was my "Wow, I sound just like my mother!" moment!

No comments: