Saturday, December 20, 2008

A moment to remember....

So, most people know I'm not the most modest of people, especially when it comes to birthing and nursing. But even I got a little tickled over the craziness of this moment today...... Kathryn has not been latching on right and therefore hasn't really nursed yet in her first 24 hours of life. We're really struggling. All day I've been waiting for the lactaction consultant to stop by. And all day I've been waiting for the bezillion of people that said they wanted to come and visit to show up. So of course, Here comes Debbe and Josh just as Alicia calls to confirm what room I'm in. And it's time to try and nurse again, so James and Josh head downstairs to get a snack in the cafeteria and in walks Miranda with Josiah, Evangelina, and Jordan in tow, followed immediately by the lactation consultant. While normally I would have asked her to come back later, instead I apologized to my guests and had her stay to assist as Kathryn still wasn't latching on. As she is busy poking and prodding and trying to jam my boob into baby's mouth, in walks the nurse who is roped into assisting the LC. While they are busy jabbing and pulling and playing with me and baby in walks Dr. Noffsinger, one of our pediatricians to exam the baby. He's roped into helping as well... so imagine, I'm laying in bed while not 1, but THREE people are grabbing my boob and my baby trying to get her to latch on all the while my wonderful friends are sitting there watching. LOL I felt sorry for them, but in the end we discovered Katy-but is not tongue-tied, she is pushing out with her tongue and is therefore basically clueless! We started her on a binky to encourage proper suction. I'm doing everything else right, just keep it up and she'll catch up eventually! What a moment to remember though!

No comments: